Positioned Trump Plaza as the Centerpiece of Atlantic City. It is one of the most popular destinations in Atlantic City and has kept its positioning as "The Centerpiece of Atlantic City" for 25 years.
Problem / Opportunity
In the early 1980's Atlantic City was growing rapidly with many new casinos being built. The challenge was to segment the gambling community and to target heavy gamblers and position Trump Plaza as the place to be. The marketing goals were to build awareness, establish an image, differentiate this casino from other properties, and to gain trial. The "Trump" brandname lent itself to luxury and aspiration.
Barriers to Overcome
- Fierce competition and heavy spending
- Difficult to differentiate in tangible, relevant and sustainable ways
- Working with Donald Trump and Executives from Harrahs who were often in conflict.
- Positioned Trump Plaza as the Centerpiece of Atlantic City
- Develop memorable creative using the Peter Gunn, James Bond theme and aerial photography at night to embody the glamour, sophistication, and the Walter-Mitty like fantasy heavy gamblers imagine.
- Extremely successful launch winning marketshare from other casinos.
- Positioning still in place and effective today, 25 years after it's launch.